Sunday, February 2, 2014

Write drunk, edit sober

Hemingway may or may not have said this but whatever the case I agree.

I'm not suggesting creativity comes only from getting smashed. I'm saying that a few  glasses of wine can help loosen our own self-censorship tendencies that often occur.

I've always supported  the 2 glasses rule - that the best ideas often come after 2 glasses of wine. Subsequently, one needs to remember that more glasses of wine doesn't actually equate to greater creativity once you get passed this watershed of 2 glasses......

Of course, it helps that I enjoy arting (yes, that's my new favourite word...possibly made up) during the afternoon and evening. I'm not inspired to create in the morning - that's for getting stuff done, running errands and so on {see my previous 'rhythms' post - I'm sure you've already read it}.

For myself, this can mean paint or charcoal on my wine glasses, smudged on my cheeks or up my arms. I make a mess when I create but I don't really care. It's all for me. I paint for me. I draw for me. I really like it when other people appreciate what I do but when it comes down to it - it's all about AND for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment