Saturday, September 14, 2013

Don't apologise!

A friend recently introduced me to this idea.  At first, I questioned her but then as she explained her point I came to see the wisdom in her words.
When you flippantly use the words “I’m sorry…” to start a conversation with, you can inadvertently diminish what you’re about to say.  Already you’ve taken a submissive position. We, as women, can be often guilty of such things.
I’ve been attempting to adhere to this idea throughout this week. The habit is stealthily invasive at times.
I catch myself during conversations and actively reword my sentences. Texting at least gives me the time to rephrase what I have to say.

Why do I say “I’m sorry”?
Sometimes, I start a request with it when I want someone to do something for me. I’ve just simply stopped saying it. I’m not being unreasonable so there’s no need for it.
I also use it sometimes as a synonym for “excuse me”  …so why not just say “excuse me”.
Then there are the times when I start a conversation with “I’m sorry” when I know that what I have to say may not be easily accepted by the listener. I’m saying that I’m sorry that you may not like what I have to say. I guess this is possibly the trickiest one. Yeah, you may NOT like what I have to say but I still have the right to say it.

I don’t mean that if you have seriously made an error that you shouldn’t take responsibility and make amends - which I really do subscribe to. Precisely what you need to do will depend on the mistake made. It doesn’t necessarily mean moving heaven and earth but it should be genuine and done with integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment